Wednesday, August 31, 2011

pushing....

...myself to do something different is always difficult for me.  Well, especially when it comes to stamping/card making.  I think that the reason why is because for so long I have had such little free time and so "experimental" card making just wasn't an option.  Think about it...if you have just a little, bitty, teeny, tiny window of time each week to pull out your crayons and have fun then, well, you tend to do something that gives you both satisfaction and enjoyment.  For me, at least, that means simple layouts as well as coloring flowers.  Kinda always the same but made me happy.  So, now, I am facing a time in my life where my windows might open from little, bitty, teeny, tiny to wide open.....at least once in awhile.  And that means I have the time to pull out my dies, my embossing folders, my stamps that take me three, four (yikes! more sometimes) attempts to color them in a way that I am satisfied, content.  Basically, liking the finished product.  So, today I sat down with one of my new Penny Black stamps called Snowflake and Holly.  I really love the look of this stamp but it took me several attempts to get to a card that I liked.  And I liked that process.  And I wasn't rushed and stressed about all my mistakes.  And I got out my cuttlebug....and my die cuts....and I diddled and daddled and, it. was. fun.  Wow-forgot how fun it could be to jump into the "pool" with my eyes closed and just "feel" the process.  Make sense to you all?  Sometimes fun is "just".....just doing, just playing, just making mistakes...whatever...So, I did set myself some challenges...do what I don't usually do.  So, I embossed (never emboss....too messy man-esp if you are in a hurry!) and that embossing is for the Lily Pad Simon Says Stamp Resist Challenge.  I did hold true to something that is always near and dear to my heart and that is unconventional colors....so, meet my blue snowflakes and turquoise holly....and they will be for the cr8fn37 challenge


This particular card I versamark pen embossed the colored holly leaves and then clear embossed them. 


This next card uses alot of the same elements as the first card....but in a different way.  I wanted to use the scraps from the first card and see if I could make a card with the same stamp, same colors, many similar elements but with a whole different vibe.  I think I did.  I like them both but I really LOVE the pop of orange on the second one.


Well dearies...thank you so much for stopping by and slogging through my massive post.  I was really pretty long winded here wasn't I?  Guess I just got LOTS to say ;-D

Be well (and well read),
Sheila


                                                                

15 comments:

Mad for Paper said...

Both cards are stunning. Love that image and the way you colored it.
TFS
Ang

Rosemary said...

great take on the CR84FN challenge colors, sheila! i so want that snowflake & holly stamp!!

Elizabeth Allan said...

Shiela I am so happy that you have larger windows of time!! Your creativity and love for stamping show in your cards. Wonderful details and color combinations.

Mona Pendleton said...

Gorgeous set of cards Sheila! Love all the distressing and textured edges! Thanks for joining along with CR84FN :)

Brenda said...

Hi Sheila! It's so great to "hear" you having fun and exploring and the outcome is brilliant! I love all that vintage look, superb! And I think it's wonderful that you are not afraid to go the unconventional route! It makes you a very interesting person! So, go and make use of those large windows of time and continue to explore, so that I can continue to be bedazzled! Hugs, Brenda

Jill said...

Holy moly! I adore these nontraditional colors. You have REALLY inspired me, girl! HUGS!

Lisa said...

I have always told you that you have a special way with colors and you prove it again right here! These are both so wonderful Sheila! I so love the torn edges of the paper, all the distressing, and layers...just amazing :)

Tanya said...

I love all the textures in these cards, and the non-traditional coloring. So beautiful!

Sasha said...

Both of your cards are beautiful, Sheila. I love the unconventional colours, too. Your holly looks wonderful!

Marie said...

Great cards Sheila. Shoot for the moon even if you fail you'll still land among the stars.

Suzanne Russell said...

Both versions of your card are really lovely. thanks for letting us see both of them!

Lin said...

Sheila, I'm so glad you had the time to play - your cards are both so unique - love your turquoise holly! Thanks so much for joining us at Lily Pad Cards!

Nancy K said...

oh wow, I just love what you've done with this stamp! I'm so glad you are trying new things, because the new things are turning out so gorgeous! Really fabulous designs and amazing colors! Thanks for playing along with us at Lily Pad Cards!

Sue Lelli said...

Sheila, so glad you played with our challenge and had FUN! That's what we are all about! LOVE how you made two cards with the same stamp and used scraps for your second one! Come play with us again at CR84FN!

Deborah Frings said...

I do like that stamp and the blue look fab on the leaves! Both cards really are very different. Thanks for playing along with CR84FN!