Thursday, August 21, 2014

Spellinders/Creating A Gilded Life: part deux....

I had another idea for another entry into the  Spellbinder's/Creating a Gilded Life contest.  I love to make altered boxes.  I mean, give me something in a sturdy well constructed box and you can bet your bottom dollar that box will have another life as a small jewelry box given as a gift down the line!  Recently my daughter and I both had to get new phones and the boxes that the phones came in were so nice...in fact too nice to waste!  So, another project for the contest was born! And this project will be entered into the MIXED MEDIA category. So, here is what I started with....I picked out the paper that I was going to use....I picked a more vintage-y looking paper as I want it to go  on a night table in a spare bedroom that we have.  I alway like to have little places for overnight guests to put their earrings in when they come and stay the night.  Also my other daughter was talking to me about Marie Antoinette the other day and I just had Marie Antoinette on the brain!  So, I tried to create an over the top Gilded Life Marie Antoinette type curiosity box.



After cutting the paper and Mod Podge-ing it to the box I went to The Gilded Life stash that I had and pulled out this piece of pearlized white leather.  I embossed it with one of my favorite Spellbinder's embossing folders.

                                                 

Then added ink.




Then added more ink!



Next I cut out two "Shields" from the Spellbinders/Gilded Life and then embossed them with this embossing plate from the same line.



Colored them "gold" and they became the back plate for my knob!



Then I colored yet another shield with nail polish, sanded it when dry...


and then added some gold to the sanded areas.


This will now fit inside my bezel so nicely!  To which I added some necessary bling.

  

I also had this cool flower finding....it actually is a "clasp" for a necklace but I felt it fit nicely here.  Again I used my trusty nail polish!  Please excuse that atrocious crusty looking thumb!





I then pulled out my  Iced Enamels for a little grunging up!




Finally I pulled out this cool metallic netting that I got from Spellbinders/A Gilded Life and made a little unecessary but oh so cool backdrop for my flower.  I also added a small case "h" typewriter looking embellishment that I iced enameled gold....our last name is Hnilicka sooooo you can figure that one out!


Here is a close up of that lovely bezel.

Here is a shot of the top of the box....you can see how nicely the leather embossed and colored!




And finally, (are you still awake?) here is the finished box!  I just love it!  Actually, I am pretty glad that I decided ahead of time to keep it!  Fyi...those are chains that I glued to the perimeter of the box lid.  This was my first time working with leather and truly I didn't know how to finish it off.  So with the jagged leather edge = necessity became the mother of invention/creation!



Thank you so much for stopping by today and plowing thru this post ;-D

Be well,
Sheila





1 comment:

Lisa said...

Wow, this is stunning!! I love the beautiful papers and the techniques you used!! It looks amazing!!

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts